Eachtra Journal

ISSN 2009-2237

A burnt mound at Moyveela 2, Co. Galway (E3884)

October, 2010 · Written by: Eachtra Print This Page This entry is part 18 of 23 in the Issue 08

Archaeological Excavation Report

Burnt mound

This report constitutes the final excavation report for a burnt mound in the townland of Moyveela, Co. Galway. The site was excavated as part of the archaeological excavation programme in advance of construction for N18 Gort to Oranmore Road scheme. The site was found within the Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) area for the scheme during Phase 1 archaeological testing. The site consisted of a burnt mound with associated troughs and pits.

The excavation revealed the presence of a burnt mound with associated pits and troughs. The two troughs both had internal stakeholes suggesting in one case some form of lining and in the other some form of suspension rack. The remains of a H-frame suspension frame was situated north-west of the largest trough. A number of external pits and stakeholes hinted at related structures or activities. Two Late Bronze Age dates were returned for the site cal BC 1010–909. A cow horn and a shed red-deer antler were found in the abandonment fills of a pair of boiling pits.

The burnt mound site at Moyveela 2 is located on slightly raised ground on the western edge of a large turlough. This preference for wetland margins has been consistently noted by other commentators (Gowen et al 2005 and Grogan 2007). Grogan (2007) states that in the ‘Mooghaun area of south-east Clare the majority of fulachta fiadh occur along the margins of turloughs, bogs and marshy areas’. The burnt mound sites at Caherweelder (to the south) which were excavated as part of the same programme of excavations had a similar location on slightly raised ground on the edge of a turlough.

Authors: Gerry Mullins & Finn Delaney

Download the report

Issue Navigation«Previous entry | Next entry»